Supported housing

Our service includes a range of flexible, recovery based support associated with everyday living to help people maintain their tenancies through practical and emotional support.

Listen to hear one person’s story and how we helped.

We provide supported accommodation for people who experience mental ill health and who require a level of support to enable them to maintain community living and to progress towards more independent lifestyles.

How much support and the type of support provided is dependent on your needs but the aim of the service is to help a person to maintain a tenancy, increase independence and live a healthy and enjoyable life.

What help can I get?

  • Help with skills needed to maintain a tenancy (paperwork such as help with completing benefits forms, day-to-day budgeting)
  • Emotional support
  • Health and wellbeing support
  • Developing social networks
  • Accessing community facilities such as leisure, education and volunteering; and
  • Increasing confidence and self-esteem.

The support element is paid for by the Supporting People programme (Stoke-on-Trent City Council department) and the rent is either paid by the person themselves or covered by Housing Benefit.  There is also a small weekly service charge for services not covered by the above eg communal heating and lighting.

We have a range of properties available from group homes to self-contained flats.

Getting started

For further information and to have an informal chat about whether our Supported Housing Service would be suitable for you please contact the Housing Project Manager on 01782 824529.

Can I get help?

  • You should have some form of diagnosed mental illness or history of a mental health problem.
  • You must be over 18 and will usually be under 65 years of age.
  • You must have housing-related support needs.
  • You must be capable of living independently in the community, provided that visiting support is available ie with minimal assistance be able to budget and look after their own monies, and provide themselves with an adequate diet.
  • You must be willing to engage with the service and with the support offered and to participate in the production of their own support plan.
  • You must have no outstanding housing debt – exceptions may be possible where steps are being taken to reduce the level of arrears.

You may be refused a service if:

  • you have a history of violence, arson, drug or alcohol misuse and/or there is a perceived risk to the health and safety of support workers or other residents.
  • With respect to our group homes the Housing Project Manager feels that the existing equilibrium/dynamic is likely to be unduly disrupted by the admission.
  • The type or degree of required intervention is assessed as being incompatible with the funding criteria, skills or capacity of the service.

If your primary difficulties are related to substance abuse you will not be accepted and it should be noted that the use of, or dealing in, illegal substances on our premises is prohibited.